Re: Request more documentation for incompatibility of parallelism and plpgsql exec_run_select

From: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request more documentation for incompatibility of parallelism and plpgsql exec_run_select
Date: 2017-07-05 13:53:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 5:30 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> It is not fine because we don't support partial execution support. In
>>> above case, if the loop breaks, we can't break parallel query
>>> execution. Now, I don't think it will impossible to support the same,
>>> but as of now, parallel subsystem doesn't have such a support.
>>
>> I can understand this, but wonder if I could use something like
>>
>> FOR I TOTALLY PROMISE TO USE ALL ROWS rec IN EXECUTE sql LOOP
>> END LOOP;
>>
>> if I hacked the grammar up a bit. Would the problem go away, or would
>> I still have problems when exceptions beyond my control get thrown inside
>> the loop?
>>

> I don't think it is just a matter of hacking grammar, internally we
> are using cursor fetch to fetch the rows and there we are passing some
> fixed number of rows to fetch which again is a killer to invoke the
> parallel query.

Is the risk that a RETURN will be executed within the loop block the only
risk that is causing parallel query to be disabled in these plpgsql loops?
If so, it seems that a plpgsql language syntax which created a loop that
disabled RETURN from within the loop body would solve the problem. I
do not propose any such language extension. It was just a thought
experiment.

Is there a conditional somewhere in the source that says, in effect, "if this
is a plpgsql loop, then disable parallel query"? If so, and if I removed that
check such that parallel query would run in plpgsql loops, would I only
get breakage when I returned out of a loop? Or would there be other
situations where that would break?

Thanks,

mark