Re: Synchronization levels in SR

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alastair Turner <bell(at)ctrlf5(dot)co(dot)za>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronization levels in SR
Date: 2010-05-26 00:58:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 25, 2010, at 22:16 , Simon Riggs wrote:
> All of these issues show why I want to specify the synchronisation mode
> as a USERSET. That will allow us to specify more easily which parts of
> our application are important when the cluster is degraded and which
> data is so critical it must reach multiple servers.

Hm, but since flushing a important COMMIT to the slave(s) will also need to flush all previous (potentially unimportant) COMMITs to the slave(s), isn't there a substantial chance of priority-inversion type problems there?

Then again, if asynchronous_commit proved to be effective than so will this probably, so maybe my fear is unjustified.

best regards,
Florian Pflug