Regarding postgres 9.1 with Redhat Linux

From: "Myint" <myint(at)ONEEMPOWER(dot)COM>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Regarding postgres 9.1 with Redhat Linux
Date: 2011-12-02 09:16:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear admin,

We have installed postgres 9.1 rpm package to red hat
Linux 2.6.18- x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux. After we setup and
install database we can create data folder on /app/postgres/oe. But when
we try to start up the database as ./pg_ctl -D /app/postgres/oe start.
It was giving the following error. Could you please advise how to solve
this problem? Or should we back up data and re-install everything from
begin? The error we received as following.

LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use

HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait
a few seconds and retry.

WARNING: could not create listen socket for "localhost"

FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets

Your faster response if very much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Myint WIn