paging on windows

From: Anshul Dutta <Anshul(dot)Dutta(at)macro4(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: paging on windows
Date: 2008-11-10 17:14:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi All,
Thank you all in advance for your answers.

My application does bulk inserts on a table (50,000 rows concurrently by 10
threads), There are 3 indexes on the table whose update takes a lot of time.
(Deleting those indexes speeds up inserts).
One thing I have noticed in my task manager is paging. I have got enough of
memory available on the system. The system cache is high. However I still
see a lot of paging going on. (PF Delta column for postgres processes in the
windows task manager).
I tried to tweak various postgres settings without any results. Could any
one suggest me how can I force postgres to use up the available memory?
I have changed following settings already

shared_buffers
effective_cache_size
work_mem
wal_buffers
commit_delay
checkpoint_segments

Thanks,
rangde.

This email has been scanned for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security Service and the Macro 4 plc internal virus protection system.