Error on system startup

From: Matthew M(dot)Burke <mmburke(at)smcm(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error on system startup
Date: 2004-01-12 18:23:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am using postgresql 7.4.0 on Debian 3.0r2 (Woody) on an x86 box. I'm
using the binary package from http://people.debian.org/~elphick/debian/

If I run the initscript from the command line:

invoke-rc.d postgresql start

it starts up just fine. But when I reboot the system, it fails to
start and I get the following in the log:

FATAL: XX000: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""
LOCATION: InitializeGUCOptions, guc.c:1866

As soon as I have more than two minutes to spare, I'll write up and
post a bug report to the appropriate list, but I have a hunch that the
problem is a configuration issue---missing environment variable---and
was hoping someone might have some suggestions for a quick fix.

Thanks,

Matt