Re: BUG #15854: postgres wtih Docker: binding port fails with release greater than 9.6.13

From: Lynn Carol Johnson <lcj34(at)cornell(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15854: postgres wtih Docker: binding port fails with release greater than 9.6.13
Date: 2019-06-19 19:19:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Mark's response was the problem. I was mounting to the same place where the 9.6 db had previously been mounted. When I created a new mount point for the 11.3 data, it worked.

I don't see how to mark this bug as "resolved" from the web but would like to mark this resolved

On 6/16/19, 10:15 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I am running Postgres in a docker, creating a container, mounting a
> directory, binding a port. The container comes up successfully and I can
> run psql to enter. But only for release 9.6. When I pull postgres docker
> image for anything greater than 9.6 (I tried with 10, 10.3, 11.3) the
> binding fails. here are specifics:

It looks like the postmaster is failing to start. The place to look to
find out the cause of that is in the postmaster's log file. Unfortunately
I don't use docker so I don't know how it configures the postmaster's
logging; but if you look into the start recipe you should be able to find
where it's redirecting the process's stderr, and that would get you
started.