Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
Date: 2019-03-29 10:04:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-03-26 03:26, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Do we really want to extend the replication protocol to control that?

Perhaps we are losing sight of the original problem, which is that if
you create the target directory with the wrong permissions then ... it
has the wrong permissions. And you are free to change the permissions
at any time. Many of the proposed solutions sound excessively
complicated relative to that.