Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2021-03-22 23:53:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 03:47:58PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Are you sure you're looking at the patch I sent,
>> toast-compression-guc-rmh.patch? I can't help wondering if you applied
>> it to a dirty source tree or got the wrong file or something, because
>> otherwise I don't understand why you're seeing things that I'm not
>> seeing.

> I'm guessing Tom read this hunk as being changes to
> check_default_toast_compression() rather than removing the function ?

Yeah, after looking closer, the diff looks like
check_default_toast_compression is being modified in-place,
whereas actually it's getting replaced by CompressionNameToMethod
which does something entirely different. I'd also not looked
closely enough at where NO_LZ4_SUPPORT() was being moved to.
My apologies --- I can only plead -ENOCAFFEINE.