Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Bret Busby <bret(at)busby(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Date: 2003-12-10 19:48:05
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the result of the lack of formal, structured, PostgreSQL
>> training and certification, and the apparent resistance to these, in
>> the PostgreSQL community, is that, like the Perl people, the result is

> I don't think there's a resistance to them except that setting up training
> and certification costs money.

I think there *would* be resistance to labeling anything as "official
PostgreSQL certification", mainly because of the problem of who gets
to decide which things are "official". No one will object if companies
set up training and skills-testing programs about PostgreSQL, they just
can't claim to be officially blessed by the project. As a comparison
point, Red Hat's RHCE certifications for Linux seem to be pretty well
respected, but no one thinks they are officially blessed by Linus or
anything like that. Red Hat is the only name standing behind them.
(Disclaimer: I have no reason to think that Red Hat might offer any
such certification program for Postgres in the foreseeable future.
Too bad.)

MySQL is more able than we are to set up "official" training and
certification programs, because there isn't any doubt who owns the
right to do so: MySQL AB. But whether having one company control the
project is a net benefit is pretty dubious IMHO.