Re: doc - add missing documentation for "acldefault"

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc - add missing documentation for "acldefault"
Date: 2018-09-19 12:56:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/03/2018 09:04 AM, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> Here is a version of the patch which documents briefly all aclitem-related
> functions, in a separate table.

I claimed this patch for review and commit. Comments:
---
* There is a comment in src/backend/utils/adt/acl.c noting that
acldefault is "not documented for general use" which needs adjustment

* It makes no sense to me to document purely internal functions, e.g.
aclitemin/out. If we are going to do that we should do it universally,
which is not true currently, and IMHO makes no sense anyway.

* I do believe aclitemeq() has utility outside internal purposes.

* The <indexterm> section is incomplete

* Interestingly (since that is what started this thread apparently) I
found myself questioning whether acldefault() is really worth
documenting since the result will be misleading if the defaults have
been altered via SQL.
---

Attached patch addresses those items and does a bit of reordering and
editorialization. If there are no objections I will commit it this way
in a day or two.

Thanks,

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc-acldefault-jec01.patch text/x-patch 7.1 KB