Re: pg_basebackup: errors on macOS on directories with ".DS_Store" files

From: Tobias Bussmann <t(dot)bussmann(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Mark Guertin <markguertin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup: errors on macOS on directories with ".DS_Store" files
Date: 2023-04-19 17:51:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> pg_basebackup: error: backup failed: ERROR: invalid segment number 0 in file ".DS_Store"

This seem to be the same problem as already discussed in [1]: Tools like pg_basebackup and pg_checksums can get upset if there are random extra files in $PGDATA/base, /global or /pg_tblspc. Unfortunately, macOS has the habit to create such files quite easily. If I read the outcome correctly, we are back at a blacklist approach, so adding ".DS_Store" may be something to consider.

[1]: <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20181021134206.GA14282%40paquier.xyz>