Re: Per-function search_path => per-function GUC settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per-function search_path => per-function GUC settings
Date: 2007-09-02 16:11:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 9/2/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Seems a little verbose, but maybe we could do "SET var FROM CURRENT"
>> or "SET var FROM SESSION"?

> I'd prefer FROM SESSION then. FROM CURRENT seems unclear.

Actually, I think FROM SESSION is unclear, as it opens the question
whether the value to be applied is the session-wide setting or the
currently active one. Inside a transaction that has done SET LOCAL,
these are different things.

I think we pretty clearly want to have it take the currently active
setting, and I'd vote for FROM CURRENT as the best way of expressing
that.