Re: Ability to reference other extensions by schema in extension scripts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ability to reference other extensions by schema in extension scripts
Date: 2022-11-10 03:49:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us> writes:
> My proposal is this. If you think it's a good enough idea I can work up a
> patch for this.
> Extensions currently are allowed to specify a requires in the control file.
> I propose to use this information, to allow replacement of phrases
> @extschema_nameofextension@ as a variable, where nameofextension has to be
> one of the extensions listed in the requires.

I have a distinct sense of deja vu here. I think this idea, or something
isomorphic to it, was previously discussed with some other syntax details.
I'm too lazy to go searching the archives right now, but I suggest that
you try to find that discussion and see if the discussed syntax seems
better or worse than what you mention.

I think it might've been along the line of @extschema:nameofextension@,
which seems like it might be superior because colon isn't a valid
identifier character so there's less risk of ambiguity.