Re: Improve eviction algorithm in ReorderBuffer

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Shubham Khanna <khannashubham1197(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve eviction algorithm in ReorderBuffer
Date: 2024-04-09 18:04:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2024-04-05 at 16:58 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > I have some further comments and I believe changes are required for
> > v17.

I also noticed that the simplehash is declared in binaryheap.h with
"SH_SCOPE extern", which seems wrong. Attached is a rough patch to
bring the declarations into binaryheap.c.

Note that the attached patch uses "SH_SCOPE static", which makes sense
to me in this case, but causes a bunch of warnings in gcc. I will post
separately about silencing that warning, but for now you can either
use:

SH_SCOPE static inline

which is probably fine, but will encourage the compiler to inline more
code, when not all callers even use the hash table. Alternatively, you
can do:

SH_SCOPE static pg_attribute_unused()

which looks a bit wrong to me, but seems to silence the warnings, and
lets the compiler decide whether or not to inline.

Also probably needs comment updates, etc.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-binaryheap-move-hash-table-out-of-header-into-bin.patch text/x-patch 2.9 KB