Fwd: "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM" still causing issues (deadlock) in PostgreSQL 14.3/4?

From: Marco Boeringa <marco(at)boeringa(dot)demon(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM" still causing issues (deadlock) in PostgreSQL 14.3/4?
Date: 2022-07-22 07:56:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Unfortunately, after more testing, it turns out this issue still
persists in PostgreSQL 14.4.

I have now encountered exactly the same problem as described in the
original issue below: One autovacuum session that never finishes with no
wait event (or is just incredibly slow and not finishing after many
hours although it should in minutes considering the relative small
dataset and normal operation), and the "client backend" and "parallel
worker" stuck on the same wait events as listed below  with the same
"SELECT COUNT (*)" SQL statement.

One thing to note as well, besides this being workstation level hardware
with ECC RAM, is that I now also activated 'pg_checksums' on the
PostgreSQL databases, and reloaded all data, so all data should now have
checksums.  No PostgreSQL error at all is generated via the ODBC
connection I use to access and update the database when this happens and
PostgreSQL appears stuck on the autovacuum. So I guess this now means I
can now pretty much exclude a hardware error, and this must be some
software issue, considering the checksums.

Marco