Re: Error messages --- now that we've got it, do you like

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error messages --- now that we've got it, do you like
Date: 2003-07-31 15:31:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:
>> Well, if this needs a vote, I'm for something like maximum/default/minimum
>> rather than the way it currently is. Saying "verbosity verbose" or
>> "verbosity terse" doesn't feel right, while "verbosity maximum" makes
>> sense, to me anyway.

"max" would work for the verbose mode, since that corresponds to all
available fields. It's quite unclear what "min" is though; the fields
included by "terse" are more of a judgment call (wasn't there someone
asking for only the SQLSTATE?). off/full would have the same problem.

> That was my feeling. Also, I was concerned that non-native English
> speakers might not have heard of 'terse', while max/min or off/full
> would be more common.

Non-native speakers would probably have to consult the man page to
remember the correct spelling of VERBOSITY anyway :-(