Re: TAP testing for psql's tab completion code

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TAP testing for psql's tab completion code
Date: 2019-12-28 22:52:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
>> We've often talked about the problem that we have no regression test
>> coverage for psql's tab completion code. I got interested in this
>> issue while messing with the filename completion logic therein [1],
>> so here is a draft patch that adds some testing for that code.

> After you raised the issue, I submitted something last August, which did
> not attract much attention.
> It covers some tab-completion stuff. It uses Expect for the interactive
> stuff (tab completion, \h, ...).

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall looking at that and not being
happy with the additional dependency on Expect. Expect is *not* a
standard module; on the machines I have handy, the only one in which it
appears in the default Perl installation is macOS. (Huh, what's Apple
doing out ahead of the pack?) I'm pretty sure that Expect also relies on
IO::Pty, so it's a strictly worse dependency than what I've got here.

Can we recast what you did into something like this patch's methods?