Re: Question about an Extension Project

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: A Z <poweruserm(at)live(dot)com(dot)au>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about an Extension Project
Date: 2021-09-03 09:41:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I don't want to sound overly rude, but I suggest not spamming this list
with the same message when you don't get an answer right away. If no one
answered the first time, they're not going to answer the second time.

Providing a quote usually requires some sort of a business relationship,
and I doubt people on this list will rush to do that when the person is
entirely anonymous, without any prior history in the community, etc.

As for the technical side, I only quickly skimmed the specification, and
it's entirely unclear to me

(a) Why? What's the whole point of the proposed extension, and why e.g.
pgmp is not suitable to achieve that.

(b) What? Are the proposed data types & aritmetics a completely new
thing, or is that already implemented somewhere? I doubt people on this
list will be interested in inventing entirely new ways to do math (as
opposed to using a library that already exists).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company