Re: Fix around conn_duration in pgbench

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Asif Rehman <asifr(dot)rehman(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Fix around conn_duration in pgbench
Date: 2021-08-30 14:36:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/08/26 12:13, Yugo NAGATA wrote:
> Ok. That makes sense. The output reports "including connections establishing"
> and "excluding connections establishing" regardless with -C, so we should
> measure delays in the same way.

On second thought, it's more reasonable and less confusing not to
measure the disconnection delays at all? Since whether the benchmark result
should include the disconnection delays or not is not undocumented,
probably we cannot say strongly the current behavior (i.e., the disconnection
delays are not measured) is a bug. Also since the result has not included
the disconnection delays so far, the proposed change might slightly change
the benchmark numbers reported, which might confuse the users.
ISTM that at least it's unwise to change long-stable branches for this... Thought?

> I updated the patch for pg13 to measure disconnection delay when -C is not
> specified. I attached the updated patch for pg13 as well as one for pg14
> which is same as attached before.

Thanks! I pushed the part of the patch, which gets rid of unnecessary
measure of connection delays from pgbench.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center