Re: Grass Root Protectionism

From: Michael B Allen <ioplex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Grass Root Protectionism
Date: 2009-02-08 16:11:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Boycott Tech Forums
> <boycotttechforums(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>> I am a Sr. Software Engineer in USA who (like many others) have been
>> unfairly treated with offshore software engineers who have the audacity to
>> take our jobs, yet ask (mostly) American engineers to help them with their
>> technical challenges via Technical Forums (like this one).
>>
>> One solution is a bit of Grass Root Protectionism by boycotting technical
>> forums. Perhaps if it takes an offshore engineer 2 hours to solve a problem,
>> then the employer would see the real cost implication.
>>
>> I encourage American engineers who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to
>> develop their skills not to give it away so freely.
>
> Without foreign engineers working on pgsql it wouldn't be nearly as
> far along as it is today.
>
> I live and work in America, but I am not about to sign on to this shit.

I don't think anyone should take this seriously. If your job is doing
something that someone else can do almost as well, you're going to
find yourself out of work once in a while. Hoarding trivial
information is not going to help you with that - quite the opposite I
think.

Someone should point out to this "Senior Engineer" that America was
built by foreigner labor. Heterogeneity is our greatest asset. But
it's not going to be me because I think the whole thing is just a
troll or an email harvester. I'm not sure which.

Mike