Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8
Date: 2022-03-25 09:01:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22.03.22 03:22, Andres Freund wrote:
> Attached is v8. It's just a rebase to resolve conflicts with recent changes.

I have committed the DLSUFFIX refactoring, and also a stripped-down
version of the patch that makes update-unicode work with vpath. This
takes care of patches 0007 and 0009.

Patch 0006 (visibility) has its own CF entry.

The only other thing IMO that might be worth addressing in PG15 is the
snowball scripts refactoring (0002 and 0003), but that doesn't seem
quite ready yet. (At least, it would need to be integrated into the
distprep target, since it adds a dependency on perl.) Maybe it's not
worth it right now.

With that, I suggest moving this patch set to CF 2022-07.

A general comment on the remaining prereq patches: We appear to be
accumulating a mix of conventions for how "generate" scripts specify
their output file. Some have it built-in, some use the last argument,
some use an option, which might be -o or --output. Maybe we can gently
work toward more commonality there.