Re: availability of SATA vendors

From: "Bucky Jordan" <bjordan(at)lumeta(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Jeff Frost" <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: availability of SATA vendors
Date: 2006-11-22 14:18:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dells (at least the 1950 and 2950) come with the Perc5, which is
basically just the LSI MegaRAID. The units I have come with a 256MB BBU,
I'm not sure if it's upgradeable, but it looks like a standard DIMM in
there...

I posted some dd and bonnie++ benchmarks of a 6-disk setup a while back
on a 2950, so you might search the archive for those numbers if you're
interested- you should be able to get the same or better from a
similarly equipped LSI setup. I don't recall if I posted pgbench
numbers, but I can if that's of interest.

Dell's probably not the best performance you can get for the money, and
if you're not running a supported Linux distro, you might have to do a
little cajoling to get support from Dell (though in my experience, it's
not too difficult to get them to fix failed hw regardless of the OS),
but other than that I haven't had too many issues.

HTH,

Bucky