Re: Unable to create a Postgre Datasource from windows With Database installed in RHEL 5.3

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Ravi Katkar <Ravi(dot)Katkar(at)infor(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to create a Postgre Datasource from windows With Database installed in RHEL 5.3
Date: 2010-07-15 11:11:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

On 15 Jul 2010, at 12:57, Ravi Katkar wrote:

> [...]

That's only half of the solution. It is listening to TCP/IP connections now, but you didn't edit pg_hba.conf yet to allow connections from your windows machine.

I don't think this has anything to do with ODBC (hence I removed the recipient).

> /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
> Stopping postgresql service: [FAILED]
>
> /var/lib/pgsql/data is missing. Use "service postgresql initdb" to initialize the cluster first.
> [FAILED]
>
> service postgresql initdb
> Initializing database: mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log': File exists

Did you run those commands as a user with sufficient privileges (usually root)? The script obviously knows where the PG_DATA directory is supposed to be, and according to initdb it is there - which is why I think you don't have access.

It looks like postgres failed to stop (probably due to lack of permissions for you to do so). Is it indeed still running?

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4c3eed06286219829316871!