Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dim(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-29 22:29:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dim(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> While at it, would it be possible for the "simple" part of the core
> team statement to include automatic failover?

No, I think it would be a useless expenditure of energy. Failover
includes a lot of things that are not within our purview: switching
IP addresses to point to the new server, some kind of STONITH solution
to keep the original master from coming back to life, etc. Moreover
there are already projects/products concerned with those issues.

It might be useful to document where to find solutions to that problem,
but we can't take it on as part of core Postgres.