Re: FW: max_connections and shared_buffers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Anoo Sivadasan Pillai" <aspillai(at)in(dot)rm(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: max_connections and shared_buffers
Date: 2007-09-03 13:42:21
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

"Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Not sure with Windows. I'm strictly a unix type of guy. I'm guessing
> that Windows is detecting too many connections / out of memory and
> shutting down the service.

The whole thing is pretty strange. "received fast shutdown request"
means that the postmaster got SIGINT --- a moment's look at the code
proves there is no other possibility. Now what sent it SIGINT?
AFAICS there are only two possible paths: "pg_ctl stop -m fast" or
this little bit of code in win32/signal.c:

/* Console control handler will execute on a thread created
by the OS at the time of invocation */
static BOOL WINAPI
pg_console_handler(DWORD dwCtrlType)
{
if (dwCtrlType == CTRL_C_EVENT ||
dwCtrlType == CTRL_BREAK_EVENT ||
dwCtrlType == CTRL_CLOSE_EVENT ||
dwCtrlType == CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT)
{
pg_queue_signal(SIGINT);
return TRUE;
}
return FALSE;
}

Can any Windows hackers speculate on causes of this?