Rather large Postgres directory

From: william pink <will(dot)pink(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Rather large Postgres directory
Date: 2009-04-29 12:36:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Unfortuneatly the partition that has the Postgres DB has filled up beause of
files in the Postgres directory. this partition is 85GB

I tried using Table space to point it at a new partition so I did

exampledb=# CREATE TABLESPACE fastspace LOCATION '/var/example/postgres';

which didn't work so I did

example=# SET default_tablespace = fastspace;

but that still didn't work

I also tried VACUUM FULL; last night but this hasn't freed up any space, the
offending files are under /var/databases/8.1/main/base/2832253#

and the files inside the directory look like

2833195 2836410 2912054 2937747 3463991
2832506

and there a awful lot of them (85G to be precise) This database server
serves our legacy web infrstructure to put things into perspective our
current production database (Mysql) is 4.7G so I can't imagine our old
database would be 85G!, I presume it just requires a bit of a clean up but
im not sure where to start apart from the VACUUM,

As you probaly can tell I haven't got much experiene with Postgres so any
help would be great

Thanks,
Will