Creating new remote branch in git?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date: 2011-06-10 03:05:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In the next couple of days it's going to be time to branch off
REL9_1_STABLE from master, and I realized that I am pretty foggy on
how to do that in git. I suppose it's some variant of

git checkout master # if not there already
git branch REL9_1_STABLE
git push origin REL9_1_STABLE

but it's not clear to me whether any options are needed to ensure that
the right branch tracking behavior gets set up.

Should this process get documented at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committing_with_Git ?
Right at the moment that only explains how to set up a local
copy of an already-existing branch.