Re: simple web search

From: chester c young <chestercyoung(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex+lists-pgsql-sql(at)apartia(dot)org>
Cc: sql pgsql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: simple web search
Date: 2007-02-23 18:01:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I'm considering implementing a search box on my review web site
> http://lesculturelles.net and am looking for a simple way to match
> entered words against several columns on related tables:
> show.show_name, story.title, person.firtname, person.lastname, etc.

one solution would be a view:

create view search_v as select
'show'::name as tab_nm,
show_id as tab_pk,
'Show Name' as description,
show_name as search
from show
union select
'story'::name,
story_id,
'Story Title',
title
from story
union ...

your query would be
select * from search_v where '$string' ilike search

this would return a list the user could use to drill down further.

many ways to skin this cat.

It's here! Your new message!