Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date: 2024-03-21 23:02:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Just a thought: if we want to go this way, do we need a new exec call?
> We already control the initial exec in pg_ctl.c.

I'm resistant to assuming the postmaster is launched through pg_ctl.
systemd, for example, might well prefer not to do that, not to
mention all the troglodytes still using 1990s launch scripts.

A question that seems worth debating in this thread is how much
updating the process title is even worth nowadays. It feels like
a hangover from before we had pg_stat_activity and other monitoring
support. So I don't feel a huge need to support it on musl.
The previously-suggested patch to whitelist glibc and variants,
and otherwise fall back to PS_USE_NONE, seems like it might be
the appropriate amount of effort.