Re: Small TAP improvements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small TAP improvements
Date: 2022-06-14 16:20:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The first makes the argument for $node->config_data() optional. If it's
> not supplied, pg_config is called without an argument and the whole
> result is returned. Currently, if you try that you get back a nasty and
> cryptic error.

No opinion about whether that's useful.

> The second changes the new GUCs TAP test to check against the installed
> postgresql.conf.sample rather than the one in the original source
> location. There are probably arguments both ways, but if we ever decided
> to postprocess the file before installation, this would do the right thing.

Seems like a good idea, especially since it also makes the test code
shorter and more robust(-looking).

Looking at the patch itself,

+my $share_dir = $node->config_data('--sharedir');
+chomp $share_dir;
+$share_dir =~ s/^SHAREDIR = //;
+my $sample_file = "$share_dir/postgresql.conf.sample";

I kind of wonder why config_data() isn't doing the chomp itself;
what caller would not want that? Pulling off the variable name
might be helpful too, since it's hard to conceive of a use-case
where you don't also need that.