Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

From: "Peter Rosenthal" <voiperster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Date: 2007-01-21 23:19:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Back on topic, I can confirm that MySQL does indeed have various problems
with optimizing sub-selects.

There are times where doing two seperate selects is orders of magnitude
faster than doing a single with a sub-select due to index selection
decisions.

Namely:

select * from table where table_id in (select something from othertable);

is much much slower than:

select something from othertable;
select * from table where table_id in (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ...)

MySQL are aware of this optimization problem but it does not seem to be of
very high priority.

Bad optimization of complex queries is why I am looking at pg.