Serial datatype clarification

From: "Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)" <Pradeepkumar(dot)Pyatalo(at)honeywell(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Serial datatype clarification
Date: 2004-09-14 04:36:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,
I just wanted to clarify as to what is the maximum value of a SERIAL
datatype. In the documentation it is given that with BIGSERIAL it is
possible to generate 2pow(31) identifiers. What is the maximum value of a
SERIAL datatype, and what would happen if I insert a record after the
maximum value is reached.

With Best Regards
Pradeep Kumar P J