Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional Chapter for Tutorial
Date: 2020-10-30 10:57:04
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 26.10.20 15:53, David G. Johnston wrote:
> Removing -docs as moderation won’t let me cross-post.
>
> On Monday, October 26, 2020, David G. Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> On Monday, October 26, 2020, Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de
> <mailto:juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>> wrote:
>
> On 21.10.20 22:33, David G. Johnston wrote:
>>
>> Two, I find the amount of detail being provided here to be on
>> the too-much side.  A bit more judicious use of links into
>> the appropriate detail chapters seems warranted.
>>
> The patch is intended to give every interested person an
> overall impression of the chapter within its new position.
> Because it has moved from part 'Tutorial' to 'Internals' the
> text should be very accurate concerning technical issues -
> like all the other chapters in this part. A tutorial chapter
> has a more superficial nature.
>
> Haven’t reviewed the patches yet but...
>
> I still think that my comment applies even with the move to
> internals.  The value here is putting together a coherent
> narrative and making deeper implementation details accessible.  If
> those details are already covered elsewhere in the documentation
> (not source code) links should be given serious consideration.
>
> David J.

Please find the new patch in the attachment after integrating David's
suggestions: a) versus the last patch and b) versus master.

Notably it contains

* nearly all of his suggestions (see sgml file for comments 'DGJ')
* reduction of <firstterm>. This was a hangover from the
pre-glossary-times. I tried to emphasis standard terms. This is no
longer necessary because nowadays they are clearly defined in the
glossary.

--

J. Purtz

Attachment Content-Type Size
0009-architecture-vs-0008.patch text/x-patch 38.3 KB
0009-architecture-vs-master.patch text/x-patch 224.4 KB