Re: Possible bug in new VACUUM code

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible bug in new VACUUM code
Date: 2001-11-28 04:27:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I just stumbled over a very hard to reproduce error. Running
> a "VACUUM ANALYZE <table>" concurrently to a database heavy
> under load caused a SELECT ... FOR UPDATE with full primary
> key qualification to return multiple results from that table.

Urgh. But I am not sure that you should be pointing the finger at
VACUUM. It doesn't move any tuples around (at least not in ctid
terms), so how could it possibly produce multiple tuple images in
another scan? My early bet is that the problem is not directly
related to VACUUM.

Post as soon as you have any more info ... remember there are lots
of eyeballs out here ...