Re: pg_dump causes postgres crash

From: Jeff Amiel <becauseimjeff(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump causes postgres crash
Date: 2007-08-23 11:08:26
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I can't help thinking you are looking at generalized
> system
> instability. Maybe someone knocked a few cables
> loose while
> installing new network hardware?

Database server/storage instability or network
instability?

There is no doubt that there is something flaky about
the networking between the db server and the box(es)
trying to do the pg_dump. We have indeed had issues
(timeouts, halts, etc) moving large quantities of data
across various segments to and from these boxes...like
the db server....but how would this effect something
like a pg_dump?

Would a good stack trace (assuming I want to crash my
database again) help here?

http://tv.yahoo.com/