Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joe Conway <joe(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Date: 2022-03-17 14:47:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On 16.03.22 19:47, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... Perhaps we could just use "SET" and
>> "ALTER", or "SET" and "SYSTEM"?

> I think Oracle and MS SQL Server have many multi-word privilege names.
> So users are quite used to that. And if we want to add more complex
> privileges, we might run out of sensible single words eventually. So I
> would not exclude this approach.

Well, I still say that "SET" is sufficient for the one privilege name
(unless we really can't make Bison handle that, which I doubt). But
I'm willing to yield on using "ALTER SYSTEM" for the other.

If we go with s/SETTING/PARAMETER/ as per your other message, then
that would be adequately consistent with the docs I think. So it'd
be

GRANT { SET | ALTER SYSTEM } ON PARAMETER foo TO ...

and the new catalog would be pg_parameter_acl, and so on.