Re: One last Ruby question for tonight - Regarding UUID type

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Mike Christensen <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: One last Ruby question for tonight - Regarding UUID type
Date: 2011-01-31 03:02:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Each database adapter in ActiveRecord sets up a mapping between ActiveRecord types and the native database types. If the type is not defined, it just defaults it as a string.

If you are using Rails, in one of your environment initializers, you can add the following code:

ActiveRecord::Base.connection.native_database_types[:uuid] = 'uuid' # this is using ActiveRecord 3.0.3, but also works with 2.3.8

Then, when you add the column type in the migration as "uuid", it should work.

The reverse mapping, that allows AR to use the UUID as a string is already handled:

https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb#L67

Jonathan