Multi master use case?

From: Oliver Kohll <oliver(dot)lists(at)gtwm(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Multi master use case?
Date: 2012-01-26 23:38:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

A client of ours has always had problems with slow internet connectivity - they are in a part of the country where that is a problem. There are a few hundred staff sharing a couple of asymmetric (ADSL) connections. One issue is with accessing their web-based Postgres app, which we host. Now they don't want to run it internally for a lot of the usual reasons, not least they have many distributed workers and trying to serve data from an already congested spot would be a non starter.

Is this a case for multi master do you think? I.e. running one on the internet, one locally.

Looking through the wiki

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

it seems there are a few solutions that have now gained maturity. Something like rubyrep sounds ideal. It would have to deal with
a) a flaky local connection
b) changing schemas (new tables, fields, views etc.) as well as data

Create/update/delete frequencies are reasonably low, generally individuals updating single records so of the order of thousands per day max.

Any experiences/thoughts?

Oliver Kohll
www.gtwm.co.uk