Re: Database Selection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Database Selection
Date: 2006-04-25 00:07:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com> writes:
> On 25/4/2006 6:47, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Actually that's a misstatement --- AFAIK, Stonebraker and crew started
>> from scratch when they wrote Postgres,

> Bruce Momjiam say's "PostgreSQL's ancestor was Ingres" but I haven't found
> anything concrete one way or the other on whether Postgres started from
> scratch or from Ingres code

If you want it from the horse's mouth, the appropriate place to look
is in the Berkeley database group's papers:
http://db.cs.berkeley.edu//papers/

I found relevant comments in
ERL-M85-95 The design of POSTGRES.
ERL-M90-34 The implementation of POSTGRES.

The latter paper in particular makes it clear that not only did Postgres
code start from scratch, but they threw things away and rewrote a
number of times after that.