Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2006-01-02 18:26:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com> writes:
> (1) What Tom proposed is that we store the hostname and do a new DNS
> lookup for every connection. That could be useful in certain situations,
> but I wouldn't use it for a busy production server. The additional time
> for DNS lookups (even with a fast local caching nameserver) would not be a
> price I'd want to pay for the convenience.

Can you demonstrate that this is actually a serious concern next to the
total time spent launching a backend? I can't measure any real change
in total time for "psql -l" when log_hostname is enabled, which should
be a comparable hit.

I started out proposing a one-line change. The odds of this ever
getting done drop by an order of magnitude every time someone proposes
another order-of-magnitude increase in the work required...