Memory Settings....

From: Lee Keel <lee(dot)keel(at)uai(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Memory Settings....
Date: 2007-10-22 16:10:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have a client server that is dedicated to being a Postgres 8.2.4 database
server for many websites. This server will contain approximately 15
databases each containing between 40-100 tables. Each database will have
approximately 7 web applications pulling data from it, but there will
probably be no more than 50 simultaneous requests. The majority of the
tables will be very small tables around 1K in total size. However, most of
the queries will be going to the other 10-15 tables that are in each
database that will contain postgis shapes. These tables will range in size
from 50 to 730K rows and each row will range in size from a 2K to 3MB. The
data will be truncated and reinserted as part of a nightly process but other
than that, there won't be many writes during the day. I am trying to tune
this server to its maximum capacity. I would appreciate any advice on any
of the settings that I should look at. I have not changed any of the
settings before because I have never really needed to. And even now, I have
not experienced any bad performance, I am simply trying to turn the track
before the train gets here.

Server Specification:
Windows 2003 Enterprise R2
Dual-Quad Core 2.33GHz
8GB RAM
263 GB HD (I am not 100% on drive speed, but I think it is 15K)

Thanks in advance,
Lee Keel

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.