Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode
Date: 2009-06-25 22:31:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The behavior you seem to have in mind would be completely disastrous
>> from a performance standpoint, as we'd be writing and fsyncing
>> pg_control constantly during a recovery.

> Please define "constantly". We discussed that part of the patch here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/498AB55D.50408@enterprisedb.com

Okay, after reading the code a bit more I found this:

/*
* To avoid having to update the control file too often, we update it
* all the way to the last record being replayed, even though 'lsn'
* would suffice for correctness.
*/

which should alleviate the too-many-writes syndrome. Never mind that
complaint then. (But shouldn't there be an Assert that this is >= lsn?)