Re: disable SSL compression?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: disable SSL compression?
Date: 2018-03-11 13:05:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/11/18 04:00, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I am not talking about the OpenSSL disabling it. It was disabled on most
> *distributions* years ago, long before that commit. Which is why I'm
> still curious as to what platform you actually got it enabled by default
> on...

Homebrew package

> So for your purposes, you could add a server option to turn it back on.
>
> Such a server option would also be useful for those users who are using
> OpenSSL <1.1.0 and want to turn off compression on the server side.
>

> We'd probably have to put in the distribution specific workarounds like
> mentioned above to make it actually useful for that.

The change in the Debian package I found was to build without zlib at
all. So no amount of turning it back on will help. Whereas the
upstream change was just to make the default to be off. But anyway,
this feature is clearly dying, so we probably shouldn't be trying very
hard to keep it.

My proposal is the attached patch that sets the default in libpq to off
and adjusts the documentation a bit so it doesn't sound like we have
missed the news altogether.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Set-libpq-sslcompression-to-off-by-default.patch text/plain 4.0 KB