Schemas and Privileges

From: TiTo® <tito(at)uel(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Schemas and Privileges
Date: 2008-12-11 18:20:14
Lists: pgsql-general

I installed the Postgres Database on my work planning replace Oracle on the new IT systems. I have noticed some differences (between Oracle and Posrgres) that I would like clarify.

On postgres, I create 2 users and their schemas. Schema "User1" owned by "User1" and Schema "User2" owned by "User2". User2 can´t access, by 'select', data from tables in schema User1, that is OK, but the User2 can display columns from tables in schema User1. I tried the commands "REVOKE ALL ON SCHEMA User1 FROM User2" and "REVOKE ALL ON SCHEMA User1 FROM public" but, they change nothing.

On Oracle, the user can see the tables columns in others schemas when it has "grant" on the table. If user dont have grant on table, it can´t display the table columns of others schemas.

Is there something I can do to make postgres works like Oracle ? I am using postgres 8.1.11 on SLES10.

Sérgio Tito
Londrina - Brazil