Re: A couple of gripes about the gettext plurals patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A couple of gripes about the gettext plurals patch
Date: 2009-05-28 14:11:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thursday 28 May 2009 00:54:32 Tom Lane wrote:
>> To wit, the current
>> coding fails to respect the gettext domain when working with pluralized
>> messages.

> The ngettext() calls use the default textdomain that main.c sets up. The PLs
> use dngettext(). Is that not correct?

If that's okay, why didn't we adopt that approach for the mainline
errmsg processing? Or more to the point: I think it's a seriously bad
idea that ereports in PLs need to be coded differently from those in
the core backend, especially with respect to a relatively-little-used
feature. Want to make a side bet on how long till the first bug gets
committed?