Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Prabhat Sahu <prabhat(dot)sahu(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY
Date: 2021-09-10 16:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sep 10, 2021, at 8:42 AM, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Take for example a code stanza from heapam.c:
>
> if (needwal)
> CheckWALPermitted();
>
> /* NO EREPORT(ERROR) from here till changes are logged */
> START_CRIT_SECTION();
>
> Now, I know that interrupts won't be processed after starting the critical section, but I can see plain as day that an interrupt might get processed *during* CheckWALPermitted, since that function isn't atomic.

A better example may be found in ginmetapage.c:

needwal = RelationNeedsWAL(indexrel);
if (needwal)
{
CheckWALPermitted();
computeLeafRecompressWALData(leaf);
}

/* Apply changes to page */
START_CRIT_SECTION();

Even if CheckWALPermitted is assumed to be close enough to atomic to not be a problem (I don't agree), that argument can't be made here, as computeLeafRecompressWALData is not trivial and signals could easily be processed while it is running.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company