Re: Avoid full GIN index scan when possible

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Avoid full GIN index scan when possible
Date: 2020-01-14 23:03:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:43 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> One thing I'm still not happy about is the comment in
>> collectMatchesForHeapRow. v12 failed to touch that at all, so I tried to
>> fill it in, but I'm not sure if my explanation is good.

> I've tried to rephrase this comment making it better from my point of
> view. It's hard for me to be sure about this, since I'm not native
> English speaker. I'd like you to take a look on it.

Yeah, that's not great as-is. Maybe like

+ * All scan keys except excludeOnly require at least one entry to match.
+ * excludeOnly keys are an exception, because their implied
+ * GIN_CAT_EMPTY_QUERY scanEntry always matches. So return "true"
+ * if all non-excludeOnly scan keys have at least one match.

>> Also, if we know
>> that excludeOnly keys are going to be ignored, can we save any work in
>> the main loop of that function?

> It doesn't look so for me. We still need to collect matches for
> consistent function call afterwards.

Ah, right.

> I also had concerns about how excludeOnly keys work with lossy pages.
> I didn't find exact error. But I've added code, which skips
> excludeOnly keys checks for lossy pages. They aren't going to exclude
> any lossy page anyway. So, we can save some resources by skipping
> this.

Hmm ... yeah, these test cases are not large enough to exercise any
lossy-page cases, are they? I doubt we should try to make a new regression
test that is that big. (But if there is one already, maybe we could add
more test queries with it, instead of creating whole new tables?)