Re: pl/pgsql and global variables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John Lim" <heyjohnlim(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql and global variables
Date: 2003-04-09 15:42:06
Lists: pgsql-general

"John Lim" <heyjohnlim(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> However we need access to global variables in PL/pgSQL. I cannot find any
> mention of this in the docs.

That's because it's not there. However, if the feature exists in Oracle
then it would seem reasonable to add it to PL/pgSQL. Want to volunteer?

> Also any advice on the stability of any of the PL/languages would be
> appreciated.

plpgsql is by far the best-tested and most widely used, I believe.
If I had to choose a second-best, I'd probably bet on pltcl, which is
the oldest of the bunch and probably better-wrung-out than the others.