Re: Newbie [CentOS 5.2] initdb

From: jcvlz <jcvlz(at)jcvlz(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Daneel <dan(at)dan(dot)dan>
Subject: Re: Newbie [CentOS 5.2] initdb
Date: 2008-08-12 15:19:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie> wrote:
> On 12/08/2008 15:11, Daneel wrote:
>
>> While going through
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Detailed_installation_guides
>> and typing
>> service postgresql start
>> as root I got
>> "/var/lib/pgsql/data is missing. Use "service postgresql initdb" to
>> initialize the cluster first."
>
> You should re-post to the pgsql-general mailing list, as you're more likely
> to get an answer there; this one is for PgAdmin.
>
> Ray.

Daneel,

I didn't see a post on another list, so I'm guessing you're still
having problems. I'm not sure which tut you were using from the wiki
you linked to, but section section 15.1 in the doc sums up
initialization, and the rest of chapter 15 explains what each command
is doing.

My guess is that you still need to create the default postgres DB.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/installation.html

-jcvlz