Re: logical replication - still unstable after all these months

From: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logical replication - still unstable after all these months
Date: 2017-05-26 14:45:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-05-26 15:59, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hmm, I was under the impression that the changes we proposed in the
> snapbuild thread fixed your issues, does this mean they didn't? Or the
> modified versions of those that were eventually committed didn't? Or
> did
> issues reappear at some point?

I do think the snapbuild fixed solved certain problems. I can't say
where the present problems are caused (as I have said, I suspect logical
replication, but also my own test-harness: perhaps it leaves some
error-state lying around (although I do try hard to prevent that) -- so
I just don't know.

I wouldn't say that problems (re)appeared at a certain point; my
impression is rather that logical replication has become better and
better. But I kept getting the odd failure, without a clear cause, but
always (eventually) repeatable on other machines. I did the 1-minute
pgbench-derail version exactly because of the earlier problems with
snapbuild: I wanted a test that does a lot of starting and stopping of
publication and subscription.

Erik Rijkers